Simply the Pets Logo

SIMPLY THE PETS

Foods, Plants & Household Substances your dog should avoid


Are you aware of how many plants, common household items and foods which can make our furry four-legged friends poorly?

With varying side effects and symptoms, it is well worthwhile knowing what could make your pup poorly and how to act if you suspect they have eaten something they shouldn't or have been poisoned.


A comprehensive list of Poisonous Plants, Garden and Household substances can be found on the Dogs Trust website (link at the bottom of this page) but here are some of the more common:

Toxic Foods

Apple Seeds

contain cyanide. Various toxic effects


Avocado (the skin & seed)

Diarrhoea, vomiting, laboured breathing. Can be fatal


Onions & Chives

Causes anaemia. Onions should not be fed to dogs in any form


Garlic

Avoid in high quantities


Chocolate (theobromine)

more prevalent is dark chocolate


Macadamia Nuts

affects your do’s muscles and nervous system


Corn on the Cob

The Cob can be fatal if it causes a blockageso should not be given to the dog


Xylitol (common sweetener)

found in chewing gum, some peanut butters and drinks. if your dog digests one of these sweetened foods they can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.


Alcohol & Caffeine

can lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage.


Cooked Bones

can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal.


Grapes and Raisins

may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

Toxic Plants

Azalea

Nausea, vomiting, depression, difficulty breathing and coma. Can be fatal if eaten in large enough quantities.


Bluebell

Harmful if eaten in quantity


Buttercup

Juice may severely injure digestive system. May also cause dermatitis.


Chrysanthemum

May cause dermatitis


Clematis

Gastrointestinal tract and nervous system affected by plant toxins. May cause dermatitis


Daffodil (bulbs)

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. May also cause dermatitis. Can be fatal


Foxglove

Toxic if eaten, causing nausea and vomiting


Lily

harmful if eaten in quantity


Rhododendron

Nausea, vomiting, depression, difficulty breathing and coma. Can be fatal


Rhubarb leaves

Large amounts of raw or cooked leaves can cause convulsions and coma. Can be fatal


Yew (berries & foliage)

Dizziness, dry mouth and mydriasis develop within one hour, followed by abdominal cramping, salivation and vomiting. Foliage is more fatal than berries, death can be sudden without warning or symptoms. Can be fatal

Household & Garden Substances

  • Ibuprofen
  • Slug Pellets
  • Ant Killers
  • Bonemeal
  • Aspirin
  • White Spirit
  • Antifreeze
  • Bleach

What to do if you think your dog has eaten something poisonous...

Consult your vet immediately. They may ask you to monitor them, ask for further details or ask you to bring them straight in. Poisoning can affect a dog rapidly, so it is important to act quickly. Do not try to make your dog sick and if they have drunk a chemical do not give them water unless you know that it will not cause a chemical reaction making your dog even more unwell.

DOG'S TRUST POISONOUS SUBSTANCES FACTSHEET

CONTACT US

DOWNLOAD OUR TOXIC FACTSHEET HERE!

Factsheet